Thursday, April 12, 2012

the rising of the milky way



skirt - c/o romwe
shirt - forever 21
bow neck tie - asos
lace cardigan - h&m
shoes - c/o blowfish

It's probably no surprise that I'm obsessed with the galaxy print trend. But despite my love for the print, I haven't really liked any of the garments it's adorned. I think it's considered edgy and it tends to be paired with street style cuts, like bodycon dresses, or things with one shoulder or an asymmetrical hem. They're nice, but just not for me.

When I saw this skirt on Romwe, I immediately fell in love with the cosmic fabric, but not the cut. It originally had an asymmetrical skirt with a sheer train. Upon closer inspection I noticed that it had a raw hem so the wheels in my head started turning... super easy DIY! I carefully measured, and turned this into a normal mini skirt with the help of some sharp scissors. Now it's one of my favorite skirts! :D

ps. The shirt I'm wearing is listed on forever21 as a cropped top but on my 5' frame it hits exactly where a normal shirt should (not mid-thigh like most regular shirts do.) I've been getting a lot of cropped shirts lately and they're all the perfect length for me! Just a tip in case anyone else is super short and has trouble finding proper sized shirts like I do. I'm not usually fond of the selection in petite sizes so I'm finding the whole cropped shirt trend pretty awesome!